Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Politics - The conversation we dread but need to have

I've noticed that when an election is getting closer the posts on social media get more and more insulting and rude. Sadly, you would think that after the election is over people would be magnanimous about their victory but it's typically open season to be bad sports about it. Why be gracious when you can show your ass faster than a drunk stripper? So what we usually end up with is a bunch of insulted people regardless of who wins.

There are a few things that I have the benefit of observing from my position as an independent. Just to clarify and in the spirit of full disclosure, this is what I mean by Independent:
  • I have not joined the Republican or Democratic parties in all of my years of voting and never intend to choose one.
  • I agree with some policies of both major parties and disagree with some policies of both parties. 
  • This does not mean I don't care, in fact I do more research and fact checking than most people. 
  • This does not mean I am "unpatriotic" as the founding Fathers never intended for a two party system to exist, if anything that makes me retro-patriotic which is cooler. 
  • I am not a "fence sitter" I vote in every election, even the less exciting mid-term elections. 
Here are three things that I would like everyone to consider. I could state sources and back all of my points up with statistical, quantitative and qualitative proof, but that would be contrary to my intent. I just want everyone who reads this to think about what I'm saying and tone down the rhetoric a little and be a little more respectful to each other, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I know this will completely fail with some of the people who read it.
  1. Political beliefs are opinion, not fact. That's why we don't call them politic facts. Sure, we can pretty much universally agree that murder and rape should be illegal, but even then, these a group consensus and not a factual thing that HAS to happen. Both parties want the things that they believe are best for our nation, or at least best for themselves. Liberals are open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values, conservatives believe in holding to traditional attitudes and values and are cautious about change or innovation.
    Neither would like to admit this, but both are needed for a society to thrive. Adapting to change while holding on to values that a society deems important is a trait of societies that last for long periods of time. No change leads to stagnation and too much change too quickly leads to societies breaking up. This is seen time and time again throughout history, I'm not giving examples, pick up a history book and see what I mean. 
  2. People who don't agree with you are not all idiots. Sure there are more than a few uneducated and uninformed voters out there, but just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are all stupid. They may have completely valid reasons to feel differently than you do, that doesn't mean they are wrong. A farmer in a rural area is going to have very different needs and values than a single mother who lives in a city. Neither is wrong to have their values or opinions based on their needs. Why should someone consider one of them to be stupid for having their opinion? 
  3. You're never going to form a complete opinion unless you talk with someone with an opposing opinion. If you spend all of your time talking to people you agree with you'll never understand someone else's reasons and logic. It's a lot easier to talk with people who agree with you and give you even more reasons to confirm your opinion. But what if you're not seeing the big picture? Why not talk to someone with a different opinion and see why they have the opposing view. If you discuss your opinions and not attack each other, you might both learn something. 
Social media makes it really easy to say things that you would never say to a person's face. And it's very easy to assume that everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot. But the fact of the matter is, not everyone who supports a candidate does so for the reasons you think. Sure there are the fringe crazies in both parties that won't let reason or reality get in the way of their vote, but most people have legitimate reasons for their opinions. Talk with them, you might be surprised what you both learn from each other.

The founding fathers of our country did not see eye to eye on many issues, the Constitution was not written overnight, it too years in fact and even then the Bill of Rights was added afterwards. These men argued at length until a middle ground that was most fair for all Americans was found. That's what our country needs to do, to debate and discuss the issues and stop insulting each other because its stupid, unproductive and a childish playground mentality. If our electorate is uneducated about the issues it will be very easy for the lowest elements in politics to take advantage of them. That's what they're doing now, and we're letting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's just the way that we were

How do you sum up a lifelong friendship in a single conversation? How do I explain the person I called my "brother from another mother&...