Monday, August 4, 2014

Out of the mouths of babes

It's always been amazing to me that children have such a beautiful and unbiased view of what's going on around them.  I've always had a liking to the expression "out of the mouths of babes" because it really hits the mark.  It's actually a misquote of "Out of the mouths of babes (oft times come gems)."

Ok, to please any random grammar police that stumbles by my Blog, it's actually an idiom, so there, I hope your craving to correct me has been satiated.

Time after time, as my children were growing, I would be pleased to no end to hear their unique perspective on events in life that we often overlook.  Children have a very pure and honest view of their surroundings until their parents inject their own opinions and cloud the child's perspective. A child is not born with prejudice and phobias, that is something they are taught.

This is not always a bad thing, we're not ruining our children with our own fears and prejudices.  They need to understand that some people are bad and they can't just jump in a strangers van because he's offered them candy.  Or even worse, purchase a water treatment system because some nice stranger did an at home water test for them.

But I digress, I was discussing the things children say.  When my son was around three years old we went to a friends house for a birthday party.  I could see he was getting upset about something as I was talking to my friends.  So I pulled him to the side and asked what he was upset about.  He said he was angry because all those people were calling me Ken when my name was Daddy.

I was completely thrown as I never had that situation come up before. The girls seemed to have figured it out or they had heard my name before, he had not.  Rather than laugh it off, I explained that he was one of only three people in the entire world that are allowed to call me Dad, everyone else has to call me Ken.

I guess the point is that children are not short little adults and we tend to forget that. Not that there's anything wrong with short little adults either, I mean Tyrion Lannister is about as close to a spirit guide as I can get without peyote and a sweat lodge experience. The point is that we would do well to remember that a child's brain is developing and they don't think the way we do. They need to learn from us, and with an open mind maybe we can learn from them too.






No comments:

Post a Comment

It's just the way that we were

How do you sum up a lifelong friendship in a single conversation? How do I explain the person I called my "brother from another mother&...