Sunday, August 10, 2014

Life from a different angle

I'm not going claim to be a great person, I'm not sure I'd completely qualify as a good person. I don't believe in the entire philosophy of Karma but I feel that the general concept is fairly sound. The belief is that your actions will bring upon yourself inevitable results, good or bad, either in this life or in a reincarnation. I can't profess to know if there is any truth to it, but it certainly stands to reason that if you're a bad person good things are a lot less likely to happen to you...unless you're a Kardashian.

Then you have people like me who are anomalies, people who always try to do good things but have bad things come back to them the way Justin Beiber should. There is certainly no doubt that I have made mistakes that have had negative results on myself an others. But more often than not, bad things happen for no apparent reason than God has a sense of humor and I am a punch line.

This makes me wonder, because I think way to much about things like this, maybe something like Karma is involved. Could Karma be collecting on past debts? Could I have been a horrible person in a past life and this is punishment? Was I a high ranking Nazi or worse, something like a real housewife or a soccer Mom?

While Karma can try to run over my dogma it can't destroy my belief that people weren't sent to this world to suffer. I do think things happen to us to test us. I just feel that I'm getting retested far too often. Could I being failing and not know it or is there a point that I'm not learning from it? Do I belong in a remedial life class?

I only have one weapon in my arsenal to defend myself from these repeated pitfalls in life and it's one fit for the sappiest of Hallmark cards, I can continue to be me. Unless I could be Batman, because I would totally want to be Batman. I can't give my kids all of the things they need or want but I can make them understand that they are loved regardless of their successes or failures. I can't cure my wife, but I can let her know that the sacrifices I have made, and will continue to make to keep our family going, is worth it because I'm lucky to have her in my life.

But do all the people I care about know this too? What about my relatives that I hardly ever have time to talk to but follow on Facebook because I miss them. What about my friends that I love dearly and wouldn't want to go through this life without? This is a huge list of people!

Maybe the lesson I'm not learning is that I'm supposed to appreciate what I do have. Or use what I've learned to understand people around me who go through their own trials. Maybe I can use my humor to make someone laugh or say something thoughtful that makes someone think of something from a different perspective that they hadn't thought of before. I see life from a different angle than most, it's not brilliant but it's my own unique perspective.

There's also the off chance that by reading this and telling someone that you love how you feel about them that maybe, just maybe, you'll help my Karma. I'm in Karmic debt here people, help me out by helping yourselves and the people you love.

1 comment:

It's just the way that we were

How do you sum up a lifelong friendship in a single conversation? How do I explain the person I called my "brother from another mother&...